Limitations of tape library usage are the following:
- The consolidation operation is not possible for archives located on tapes. Deletion of a single separate backup is impossible from a tape. It is possible to delete all the backups stored on a tape. However, after this operation all the incremental and differential backups, stored on other tapes and based on the deleted backups, cannot be used for data recovery. In a Custom backup plan’s retention rules the If deletion of a backup affects other backups > Consolidate the backup option is disabled. Only the Postpone the deletion option is available.
- Deduplication is not available for archives located on tape storage devices.
- File recovery from a disk backup stored on tape is possible, but can take a very long time.
- A tape with backups written by the storage node cannot be read on a tape device, locally attached to a machine, the agent is installed on, because of a difference in tape format. To get information about the readability of the archives on tapes, written by different components of other versions of the product by means of Acronis Backup & Recovery 10, see the Tape compatibility table section.
- Barcode printers are not used.