Protecting the servers
You will most likely create individual backup plans on each of the servers depending on their roles. But it is necessary to perform a full backup of the entire server at least once. You might want to back up the server during a maintenance window or backup window, after installing or updating software, before relocation, etc. In our example, there is no need to back up entire servers on a regular basis. You can manually delete old backups since they are not numerous.
- Create a policy that backs up [All Volumes] to the managed vault on the storage node. Choose Back up later, manual start and Full backup type.
- Create a static group named, say, S_1. Add all the servers to this group. (A storage node can be added in case the managed vault is not on the local node’s drives. Otherwise the archive storage will be backed up to itself).
- Apply the policy to the S_1 group. Make sure that the policy has been successfully deployed to each of the servers. The policy deployment state has to change from Deploying to Deployed and its status has to be OK. To see the resulting backup plans on each of the servers:
- navigate to the All machines group or the S_1 group
- select the server
- select the Backup plans and tasks tab on the Information pane.
When you need and have the opportunity to back up any of the servers, navigate to the backup plan as described above, select the plan and run it.