Upgrading Acronis Group Server to Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Management Server
You can install Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Management Server on the same machine as the Acronis Group Server, or on a different machine.
The management server and the group server are independent of each other: if you are not planning to use the group server, you can uninstall it at any time, including before the management server’s installation. Otherwise, you can continue using the group server with Acronis True Image Echo components if these still exist in your infrastructure.
You can convert the group server’s group tasks to the management server’s backup policies during installation, or after the management server is installed. You will still be able to convert group tasks even after you uninstall the group server.
Note: The tasks that back up data to Acronis Backup Server or validate archives stored on it will not be imported to the management server.
To install the management server
- Run the Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 setup file.
- In the list of components to install, select the Management Server check box. If conversion of group tasks is required, select to install Upgrade Tool.
- Select the Convert group tasks to backup policies check box if you want to convert group tasks during installation. Otherwise, you can convert the tasks later at any time. For details, see “Converting group tasks with the upgrade tool” later in this section.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Converting group tasks with the upgrade tool
To convert the group server’s group tasks
- On the machine where the management server is installed, log on as a member of the Administrators group.
- Change the current folder to the folder where the upgrade tool is installed—by default: C:\Program Files\Acronis\UpgradeTool
If Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 is installed in a folder other than the default folder, change the path accordingly.
- If the group server and the management server are installed on the same machine, run the following command (note capitalization):
cscript UpgradeTool.vbs GS [-r]
(the optional parameter -r is described below). Otherwise, run the following command:
cscript UpgradeTool.vbs GS MachineName -u UserName [-p Password] [-r]
Description of parameters:
Specifies the name or IP address of the machine where the group server is installed.
Specifies the user name of a member of the Administrators group on the MachineName machine.
Specifies the password for the UserName user. If you skip this parameter, the upgrade tool will prompt you for a password.
Effective only if you are planning to upgrade the machines’ tasks—see “Upgrading Acronis True Image Echo agents and local versions“.
This parameter prohibits the conversion of local backup plans, resulting from the upgrade of group tasks on a machine, to centralized backup plans. When this parameter is specified, local backup plans resulting from upgrade of group tasks on a machine, will remain local after the machine is registered on the management server. Otherwise, the management server will convert them to centralized backup plans and establish correspondence between these centralized plans and the policy resulting from the group task upgrade.
- The imported group tasks become the management server’s backup policies and appear in the Backup policies view.
- (After you upgraded tasks on a machine and if you did not specify the -r parameter.) When a machine to which a group task was originally applied registers on the management server, the corresponding backup policy will become applied to that machine.