Upgrading Acronis Backup Server to Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Storage Node
You can install Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Storage Node on the same machine as the Acronis Backup Server, or on a different machine.
If you want to import the backup server’s locations as the storage node’s centralized vaults, you must install the storage node on the same machine as the backup server.
Importing the backup server’s locations as centralized vaults facilitates access to the Acronis True Image Echo archives stored in them. No Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 archives can be created in these vaults.
To install Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Storage Node
- Run the Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 setup file.
- In the list of components to install, select the Storage Node check box.
- To be able to import the backup server’s locations, select the Upgrade Tool check box.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
To import the backup server’s locations
- On the machine where the storage node is installed, log on as a member of the Administrators group.
- Change the current folder to the folder where the upgrade tool is installed—by default: C:\Program Files\Acronis\UpgradeTool
If Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 is installed in a folder other than the default folder, change the path accordingly.
- Run the following command:
cscript UpgradeTool.vbs BS
- The backup server’s backup locations are the storage node’s centralized vaults.
- If the storage node is registered on the management server, these centralized vaults will appear on the management server in the Vaults view.
- Each centralized vault is named according to the backup location’s folder.
- Each centralized vault displays all archives currently present in the corresponding backup location.
Coexistence of the backup server and the storage node
Suppose that both the backup server and the storage node are installed and operational on the same machine, and that you imported the backup server’s locations as the storage node’s centralized vaults. In this case:
- The backup server continues working as before: Acronis True Image Echo components can back up data to and recover data from the locations; the backup server cleans up the location according to quotas and time limits.
- The storage node accesses the corresponding centralized vaults in the read-only mode: you can view the vaults’ contents and recover data from their archives, but no archives can be deleted from the vaults.
When restarting the machine or manually restarting services, make sure that the backup server service starts before the storage node service. Otherwise, the backup server may not work.
To ensure the correct order of starting the services, you can make the storage node service dependent on the backup server service, as described in the corresponding Microsoft Help and Support article.