Example 3. Hourly backups within a day
Consider the following scenario:
- You want to perform hourly backups of your server’s critical files every day.
- You want the first backup of each day to be full and to run at midnight; and the subsequent backups of the day to be differential and to run at 01:00, 02:00, and so on.
- You want to keep older backups in the archive.
In this scenario, create a backup plan with a daily schedule. When creating the backup plan, specify ServerFiles([Date]) as the archive name, select the Name backup files using the archive name… check box, specify Differential as the backup type, and schedule the backups to run every hour from midnight.
- The 24 backups of January 1, 2011, will be stored as ServerFiles(1.1.2011).tib, ServerFiles(1.1.2011)2.tib, and so on up to ServerFiles(1.1.2011)24.tib.
- The following day, the backups will start with the full backup ServerFiles(1.2.2011).tib.
See also “The [Date] variable”.